On June 30, 2014, President Obama signed into law the World War II Memorial Prayer Act of 2013 (Public Law 113-123) directing the Secretary of the Interior to add “the words that President Franklin D. Roosevelt prayed with the United States on D-Day, June 6, 1944” to the WWII Memorial.
Because the legislation stipulates that no federal funds may be used to implement this directive, the National Park Service asked Friends to enter into an agreement that gives Friends the lead responsibility in designing and funding the addition and to work hand-in-hand with NPS to seek the necessary federal approvals.
To kick-off this significant effort, in 2015, Friends engaged the original WWII Memorial landscape architect team – Oehme van Sweden & Associates (OvS) – to develop a site analysis for the required first step of determining possible locations within the Memorial for placement and installation of the FDR D-Day Prayer addition.
The Circle of Remembrance, a landscaped contemplative area located at the northwestern corner of the Memorial site, has been unanimously selected as the recommended location for the Prayer.
Following presentations of two design concept alternatives in the summer of 2017, the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) and the National Capital Planning Commission (NCPC) approved moving forward into the design phase with a favored alternative.